Re-designing an existing website is very popular and common for a company or business that has been on the Internet for a few years. In addition to wanting to keep the design of the website, "fresh" with the current aesthetics in relation to the competitors in your industry; technology does change and older versions of coding sometimes are not supported in newer browsers.
The process of re-designing a website is very similar and follows the steps we would implement in our custom website design process. However, these questions will impact our approach and should be considered prior to development.
Common Website Re-Design Questions
- Is the website hosting platform going to be the same?
- Who is the current website hosting provider?
- Can you provide FTP Access?
- Is a Search Engine Optimization strategy currently in place?
- Do have access to your domain name registration records?
- Is there a database currently be used?
- If so, what type?
- If so, can you provide a sample of the records and/or table structure?
- If so, how large?
- What elements, content, functionality, etc from the old website would you like to carry forward?
- What would you like to improve or enhance on the new website?
- What pains or obstacles did you experience on the first website design?
- What happened to cause you to consider not using the original website designer for this re-design?
- What is the most important factor or criteria for you when reviewing website re-design proposals?
Re-designing a website is a great opportunity to get something done right a second (third, fourth, etc. time) and leverage the experience, knowledge and expertise available to you that might not have been available previously.
These are common items we typically see in a website re-design:
- New and/or update content on existing pages
- New pages that expand or elaborate on products and/or services
- New creative design (i.e., website theme, layout, navigation, etc.)
- New logo or brand identity
- New website functionality or enhancements
- Animated flash elements
- Streamlined checkout and shipping processing (e-commerce websites)
- Creation of web-based content management systems for self maintenance of particular sections or pages
- Permissions-based content access with login credentialing
RGB Interactive would like make your website re-design project an enjoyable and painless process. At the very least, please contact us and let's talk about what you have and what options are available to you.